Saturday, May 16, 2009

Scripture for Memory and Mediation #10

Matthew 12: 34-35
"For out of the overflow of the heart, the mouth speaks.

The good man brings good things out of the good stored up in him, and the evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in him."


Our words reveal much about us.

I heard a lady say that our words and actions come from the premeditations of our heart and mind. I like that phrase. What are we allowing our minds to think? We have the power to control our thoughts and, therefore, we can control our words. I believe this because Jesus continues as He tells us in Matthew 12:36 "But I tell you that men will have to give account on the day of judgment for every careless word they have spoken." We would not be accountable if we did not have the ability to choose and take control of our thoughts and words.

If our words are not revealing the good of God stored in us, what are we thinking about? I have been trying very hard to monitor my thoughts. When I realize a string of thoughts are marinating in my mind that are not inspired by God, but inspired by the enemy or inspired by my flesh, I am trying to intentionally take them captive, putting a halt to them. I'm finding that it's not nearly as hard as you would think.

When Jesus said that our words reveal the overflow of our heart, He is speaking of all our words. Words spoken to someone, about someone, to ourselves, or about ourselves. There's enough in that last line to bleed into another post, but it will have to wait.

Again, Lord, May the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart, be pleasing [exceedingly pleasing] in your sight O Lord, my ROCK and my REDEEMER. Psalm 19:14

Father, I thank You for Your correction and direction in my life. I thank You that You love me enough to send Your Spirit to reveal to me anything, everything in my life that is not pleasing to You-"Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my thoughts. See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way, everlasting." Psalm 139:23-24

1 comment:

LisaShaw said...

Powerful message and I stand with you in your prayer. Awesome.

blessings and peace to you dear sister.